Sunday, January 17, 2010

30 Days to Live

I should warn all readers that I am a terrible writer and most of the time do not how to punctuate or phrase sentences correctly. I am sorry in advance but the real purpose of this blog is to keep myself accountable, grow personally and strengthen my relationship with Jesus Christ. I will try my best though.

I went to church this morning at Experience Life in Lubbock, TX. One of my resolutions for 2010 was to go to church every week. I went the first week, skipped last week but restarted my resolution this weekend. (Just as in dieting I am okay with having to start over every now and then) Anyway, although my resolution seems good natured enough today I realized that I would not only like to go to church every week but that I would like to renew my relationship with Jesus Christ.

I'm not sure who will read this blog or if anyone will so I guess I should give some background on myself in order to keep everyone on the same page. I was born in 1984...haha, just kidding. Really though I am 25 years old and I was raised in a Southern Baptist Church and home in Texas. I committed my life to Christ for the first time at the age of 8. Some people may think that age to be controversial but I understood the commitment that I made and believe that it has kept me close in God's sights even when I didn't want to be on his radar.

I have wavered, to say the least, in my faith and my relationship with God throughout my life. I have been in every position of the sideline whether it be doubting His existence or sharing His word and my faith with most notably, my husband.

Okay, so that is a little about my history...I know it really is only a little but I want to stay focused on my purposed for starting this blog today. As some of you may know I have ADD so staying focused can truly be a difficult task for me. If anyone reading has questions about my past or anything else please ask me through comments, emails, or text messaging, whatever works best for you.

Okay, back to the purpose of today's blog. The sermon at church today was entitled, 30 Days to Live. I have been anticipating the start of this series at church because I knew it was going to be extremely powerful. The series is based loosely on a book called, not surprisingly, One Month to Live: 30 days to a No-Regrets Life by Chris and Kerry Shook. I have not read this book but plan on going to get it today. I have seen a few people talking about it on Facebook which got me even more excited about the series at Experience Life.

The theme of today's sermon was, you don't always have later to do what you should be doing now. At 25 I have lived long enough to experience this truth a few times through the death of friends and family members. Death always causes me to think of eternity and my relationship with Jesus Christ but death is not the only thing that causes me to think of these things. Sermons at church, movies, books, music, reading the bible, and conversations with friends also cause me to question how I am living my life and the things that I need to change.

Lately, I have thought about the changes I need to make in my life. God has placed these changes on my heart for a long time and today I would like to honestly start pursuing them. While I was in church this morning He placed blogging on my heart. I'm not sure that this blog will be more beneficial for me or the people that may read it but I know that it will allow me to be held more accountable through the written words on the screen.

I guess this brings me to the things I need to change and how I am going to change them. I wish God had also placed a perfect plan for change on my heart and in my mind today but this isn't the case. I know he will guide me as long as I seek his guidance. So, that's my plan. Seek His guidance and then share what He has shown me and how He has changed me. I could go on and on about the the things I see in myself that need improvement but at this sentence I feel like I completed the task He gave me for today. I'm not sure how often I will blog or what in what format but I will update send emails to anyone who would like to know when I have written a new blog.

Oh, I almost forgot. The title of my blog is a phrase my pastor says when calling his church to dedicate their lives to Christ. It is a prayer that I want to pray to Jesus everyday because I don't know it all and I will fail over and over again but this prayer truly is my goal everyday. So, Jesus, the best I know how, I commit my life to you today. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Mandy, first of all, I am SO proud of you for not only starting a blog (it's definitely scary to put your words, thoughts, and emotions out there), but also because you are brave enough to let yourself be held accountable. You have such a great heart, and I know that you are a strong woman--God has blessed you with a type of discipline and ethic that many people admire. You'll be in my prayers, girl!

    Oh and Chad and I will be coming with you guys to church soon :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie,

    Thanks for your love and support! It was very scary to publish this blog but I know that sharing my thoughts will help me make the changes I want to make!

    I can't wait for y'all to come with us! Love love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to start reading your blog! Go girl! Hope this inspires not only you, but everyone around you! I know I will benefit!

    ReplyDelete